The Thing About Sisters

The thing about sisters is that you have a relationship like no other.

After an amazing weekend with my little sis, I have been thinking about our relationship and how it's evolved throughout the years.

Although we are only three and a half years apart, it seems we've been at different life stages more often than not. So, although our sisterly bond has always been unbreakable, our friendship has gone through many ups and downs.

As far as the downs, let's just say Laura learned the hard way not to steal my clothes or eavesdrop on high school phone convo's. Major invasions of privacy between the ages of 13 and 18,  yet all small in comparison to the life as sisters we get to experience.

From the time she was born, I was so excited to have a sister, but being older, I always wanted to "help her", a phrase she would find synonymous with "mother her".

Who doesn't want help opening their birthday gifts?
Despite being separated by distance and age, she has always been by my side on the most important moments of life.
From my first day of school,
 to the earliest memories of family holidays...
Exploring incredible cities in Europe together..
to the first time I watched my hubby take the field as a Bengal.
 She's the only friend who sat in my arms at such an early age,
and wanted to be just like me, for no other reason than the pure admiration that can only come from a younger sister.
She let me practice my cosmetology skills at my bachelorette party in Vegas
 and stood my by side when I married my husband, my other best friend.
As hectic as life has been since college, and getting married, it was so nice to have a special weekend for just the two of us. 

To remember that no matter what stage we are in, or where life takes us, I always have an unconditional bff in my little sister, Laura. 
We shared stories over drinks, celebrated her birthday a little early {and I even let her open her own gift this time}...
 Relaxed for hours by the pool..
 And stopped for fro-yo on her way to the air port.
 So, the thing about sisters is you share more than a friendship, you've shared a life.

Plus, they give the best hugs...
How thankful I am for this beautiful, unique, charistmatic little girl young woman, we've come quite a long way! We were born as sisters, but choose to be friends, what's better than that?

9 comments:

  1. What a touching post! Happy early birthday to your sister!

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, such a cute post! I love all the pictures of you guys, you are adorable! I always wanted to have a sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely post. I'm envious, wish I have a sister too alas, I am the only daughter in the family.

    Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right - sisters are definitely the best and I miss mine like crazy

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sweet! i love having a little sister too. she's 5 years younger than me, but now that we're both out of college, we're in the same stage of life and it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so cute. I always wanted a sister, at least one like this. I have 2 half sisters that are the best of friends and I didn't grow up with them, or know them very well, so I'm stuck with my brothers, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two AMAAZZZZZING SISTERS and feel sooo blessed! LIKE the BEST!!!! So fab having 2 best friends!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

    www.BeckermanBlog.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I would love to hear your thoughts!